Tuesday, April 21, 2009

GPS good, Camera bad

Got my multimeter and a variety of test leads in today. Used said leads to try once again to hook up the GPS 18lvc and try and update firmware. Still no go. I double checked all the connections and it looked good. Then I had not not so brilliant idea of trying to view its output with a terminal program - and it was happily spitting out GPS data! Even better in the data it occasionaly said it was running version 3.0 of the firmware! This is the latest version and includes the update to work above 60k feet which is what I was concerned about. I don't know why the garmin updater was not connecting, but I don't need it now that I know it is at the proper firmware level.

I've had some communication back and forth with the SDK newgroup about my problems with getting the SDK firmware to load on my camera. Still not working, CHDK works fine, but SDK will not load. So this means as of right now - no video, only stills. I'll keep an eye on the forums and see what happens, worst case senario either I go with no video, or buy a used canon camera that is known to work with SDK.

No comments:

Post a Comment