Saturday, April 11, 2009

First FPV flight

Just finished my first FPV (first person view) flight successfully! It was fairly windy, but we threw caution to said wind. Mark (copilot) kept a eye on the plane while I flew it completly via the video googles. At first it was a little difficult telling how level I was flying since the camera is pointed slightly down. But after a little getting used it it was hellu cool. Mark reported it was very strange to see me staring off into space in completly the wrong direction while the plane is flying behind me.

Here are some minor problems I had:
  1. Too windy
  2. My plane is not really situated for this - its a puller so the camera was looking through the prop. Need to perhaps get an EasyStar
  3. Forgot to set the timer when I started flying - its the only way I can keep track of how much battery juice the video transmitter has
  4. Video quality was ok, but not great. Should try and mess with the goggles video settings to see if I can improve it.
  5. Did not get the video recording setup. I only messed with it a little bit, but could not get my Archos to recognize a video signal.

Overall it was very cool - I'm looking forward to doing it again when the wind is calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment