Thursday, June 4, 2009

Successful balloon tracking test

I was able to track the 'buzz' module from my car and track its progress real time. I also was able to produce a kml file for import into google earth.

All I did was place the gps transmitter in my car and drive around with the laptop connected to my radio. This is equivalent to following the balloon - provided the balloon was in the car. But my radio did pick it up and the computer was able to plot its every 15 second updates correctly.

I also purchased an external power supply for my camera, I'm going to feed the camera from a battery pack consisting of 4 AA lithium batteries. I measured the cameras draw and it would spike over 500 mA when taking pictures. The micro switching regulator I'm using to drop the voltage down from 6v to 3.7 (what the camera needs) is only rated to 500mA. I have a slightly beefier one on order. When I receive that I will do a battery test to see how long the camera can continue to take pictures and video. I'll use alkaline batteries for the test as the lithimums are expensive.

I also weighed all the components: camera, gps tracking module (buzz), rdf beacon, 12 AA batteries, battery holders etc - came out to only 545 grams. This does not include the weight of the foam box nor the parachute, but I think we are on target for less then 1050 grams which is what the balloon manufacturer lists as the ideal payload weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment