Monday, April 26, 2010

Balloon payload complete

Mark and I worked on finishing the balloon payload yesterday. We mounted the camera, covered the outside of the package with florescent paper (to increase visibility) and mounted everything inside. We came in right under a kilogram minus rigging & parachute. That is pretty close to ideal.

We also pre-filled a water jug with 1666grams which is what we worked out should be the weight (with the addition of the filling nozzle) to equal the appropriate total lift of the balloon when filling. i.e. when the balloon just is able to lift the weight, we have it filled to the proper amount.

The only thing left is some testing. I need to double check the tracking ability of the gps in my car by 'chasing' the gps module in another car.

I also need to make another battery test of the camera since the arduino temperature logger is pulling off of the same battery pack. I plan on plugging the power into an outlet first to double check that the camera will record past 1 2gig file. Then after I confirm the camera does that I'll run through a alkaline battery pack to make sure the recording time is sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment